Saturday 23 June 2012

Let's Start Planning A Wedding!

Shortly after we got back from Paris and had the many wonderful congratulations from our family and friends for our new engagement, I decided to start thinking about actually planning a wedding.

It then dawned on me that I don't actually have a clue what happens at weddings. I don't remember ever attending any, even as a child. I started reading everything online to do with weddings. I'm getting much better at understanding the terminology and what it all means, things like wedding favours and centre pieces meant nothing to me.

Apparently you have to have a Wedding Breakfast, which I thought was quite odd, as many Bride's tend to get married in the afternoon and the Wedding Breakfast follows after the ceremony. It was more like a Wedding Lunch if anything, but hey ho, what do I know?! 

I knew there were certain things I would like and certain things I would not like for my wedding day. The more I started thinking about what I liked, the more I started realising that I had more dislikes than likes, so I decided to start from there.

Now ladies, do not get upset if I comment on something that you have planned for your special day, we are all different and that is the beauty of having your own unique wedding day. Everyone is different. 

So here are my dislikes:

  • Fake flowers, I can't stand them, you can tell from a mile off they are fake and I think it immediately cheapens the overall appearance of the day. < Actually I now take this one back, I have seen some that look absolutely beautiful and you would swear they were real.
  • Balloons as centre pieces. It's a wedding day, not a kids birthday party.
  • Wedding dresses that are of a red/black/blue/green colour. I have seen a few about, and although the women look beautiful in them, it just doesn't suit me and my idea of getting married.
  • Children at weddings. Maybe it is because I don't actually know anyone under the age of 20, but I just don't know how lots of beer and a party atmosphere suits little ones. Plus you hear horror stories of children screaming all through the ceremony so you don't hear anything that the registrar or priest is saying.
  • Non-religious people getting married in church. I am not religious, neither is Mark, so we will be having a civil ceremony. I would feel like I would be lying to myself and everyone if I got married in Church and Mark I know feels the same.
  • Real posh nosh. Where everything is el dente (whatever it is called), which to me means uncooked, where the portions couldn't fill a sparrow and you are left hungry. When they serve you things that you would never eat in a million years such as a fried ostrich egg on a bed of seaweed from Triton's waterfall (or some garbage along those lines!), you know what I mean!
  • Fake everything. Fake tan, fake hair pieces, fake lashes, fake nails etc. Your husband-to-be is marrying you for you, why make yourself look unrecognisable!?
  • Too much on show. Brides who are endowed with very large bosoms look lovely in a fitted dress, not so much when we can nearly see nipples, however. 
  • Gypsy wedding style anything. Sorry, it's just not my cup of tea.
  • Horse-drawn carriage. They just remind me of funerals, sorry :S
  • When the day is centered all around the Bride, you know where it looks like the Groom has had no say whatsoever in anything.
  • Butterflies. I just don't get this, it reminds me of little girl's birthday parties where they dress up like tinkerbell, but there are so many butterfly-themed wedding bits about.

Anyway, that will do for now as I feel I may have already offended a fair few. 

I'm very excited to start planning, even if the only thing we have agreed on so far is the colour scheme (dark red, ivory and black) and the year (2014)!

I will offer all of my hints, tips and advice along the way, if like me you are a clueless bride-to-be!

No comments:

Post a Comment